Judge and Series Editor
- Length. Manuscripts must be between sixty and ninety pages.
- Previous publication. Individual poems may have been published in chapbooks, journals, and anthologies.
- Translations. Work in translation is not accepted.
- Associations with the editor. Friends, family, current students, and former students of the editor should refrain from submitting.
- Multiple submissions. No more than one manuscript per author.
- Authorship. No more than one author per manuscript.
- Simultaneous submissions. Manuscripts under publication consideration or prize competition elsewhere are allowed provided we are notified immediately of their acceptance.
- Authors previously published in the series. Any author who has had a manuscript published in the series should not apply again until three years after the publication date of said volume.
How to Apply
- Site. Apply below or go to http://www.uapress.com.
- Period. Applications are accepted year-round with a rolling deadline of 30 September.
- Personal information. Applicants should provide their name, an address, a telephone number, and an email address.
- Manuscript content. The first page of the manuscript should start with the title of the collection, followed by a table of contents, and then the poems. Part titles and epigraphs may be included. Dedications, acknowledgments, or any personal information should not be included.
- Anonymity. Submissions are judged anonymously. Your name and contact info should be submitted on this submission page but nowhere in the uploaded file. Do not include any specific identifying information anywhere in the manuscript.
- File formats. We recommend authors submit their manuscripts as a PDF, which offers the most reliable representation of what is seen on the writer’s computer. Microsoft Word documents (.doc) and Rich-Text Format documents (.rtf) are also acceptable but may display text and formatting differently when opened on the judge's computer.
- Revisions. No revisions will be accepted once the application is complete and the manuscript is uploaded.
- Readers fee. A readers’ fee of $28 must be paid at the time of submission. Major credit cards and PayPal are accepted. No checks, transfers, or cash can be accepted.
The winner and the finalists, whose work will be published in the year of the prize, will be notified by 15 July 2020.